5.10.2010

it so happens

daddy had surgery today. in fact he is at this moment still in recovery.
going in they weren't sure if it WAS for real cancer. now they know.
it was.
so here are a few lists.

list numero uno: thoughts i had in the hospital at 6 this morning,
1. i got to take my daddy to the hospital and spend a few hours with him this morning. just the two of us. he really knows how to downplay a surgery. he was just his fun mumbly self. giving me a list of things to bring him that he forgot. (on top of the list were his sketch pad, a pencil, and his electronic sketch pad he plugs into the computer. yup, the man is an artist.) and i thought, this man makes the hospital not a scary place.
2. watching a blood transfusion is crazy poetic. you watch as this big machine reaches down with its long, clear, plastic tendrils and embeds its only fang into a person. but not to draw blood. to give it. and it's strange how willing a deprived body is to embrace that which it did not make, but all the same, needs.
3. the hospital CAN be cold. no skin on skin contact. gloves on gowns. and the patients CAN become faceless in the numbers of hospital gowns, but they DON'T. at least not in my experience. some people CAN still care. even in the face of a detached hospital world. and that made me think, i have so many people to care for. i can never become detached from my life, my loved ones, or this gospel.

list two: things currently not found in my daddy's body,
1. a thyroid. yup. bye bye.
2-7. lymph nodes. 6 of them. wow.
8. (hopefully) cancer!

list three: things i am extremely grateful for,
1. my daddy. even after all the things his been through he is still strong and hilarious and one of my very favorite people to be around.
2. modern medicine. can you imagine taking out a thyroid way back when? pretty sure it wasn't possible.
3. and most important, this beautiful, wonderful, amazing gospel that has blessed my life more than anyone, even myself, will ever know.
4. a Savior who can be there for me, but who can also be with my daddy when he's alone at night in the hospital. it gives me such comfort to know he is never alone there.
5. my siblings. i love them all. each of them in their own silly way.
6. my tessie. she's basically a sibling, and she is always there for me.
7. a great old room mate, McKenzie, that always makes me feel like a special and important person.
8. all those that love me. near and far. and that i have the opportunity and blessing to love back.
9. missionaries. some great boys are out there that are doing some great things for people no where near me and yet it blesses me too.
10. my mommy. cause i love her.
11. this whole stinking world!

2 comments: